WORLD

Monthly Archives: JUNE 2017


New batch of Turkish troops arrives in Qatar
30.06.17 -
New batch of Turkish troops arrives in Qatar



QATAR’s ministry of defence has announced the arrival of a new group of Turkish armed forces to the military base where Turkey began its training mission last week. 
 
The forces are set to take part in joint exercises within the framework of a defence agreement signed between Doha and Ankara aimed at raising Qatar's defence capabilities, supporting "counter-terror" efforts, and maintaining security and stability in the region. 
 
Khalid bin Mohammed al-Attiyah arrived on Thursday to Ankara where he is scheduled to meet with his Turkish counterpart Fikri Ishik as well as Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan. 
 
Turkey's parliament on June 8 approved 2015 deal with Qatar aimed at strengthening military cooperation between the two states, which gave Turkey the right to establish military bases in Qatar and deploy military forces. 
 
The deal's approval came three days after Saudi Arabia and other Arab countries severed diplomatic ties with Qatar over allegations that it supports "terrorism" and is too close to Iran - charges Doha has repeatedly denied. 
 
Five armoured vehicles and 23 military Turkish military personnel arrived to Doha on June 18. At the time, Turkey's Hurriyet newspaper reported there were already at least 88 Turkish soldiers in Qatar. 
 
The number of Turkish soldiers sent to the Gulf state could eventually reach 1,000, Turkish daily Hurriyet reported, adding that an air force contingent was also envisaged.
 
Joint exercises were expected to start after the Eid al-Fitr holiday.
 
The Turkish military base in Qatar is a first for Turkey in the Arab World. 
 
Source: Al Jazeera News




[home] 1-2 of 2


Comment

your name*

email address*

comments*
You may use these HTML tags:<p> <u> <i> <b> <strong> <del> <code> <hr> <em> <ul> <li> <ol> <span> <div>

verification code*
 



A man shot by girlfriend for a social media stunt
29.06.17 - team pt
A man shot by girlfriend for a social media stunt



A Minnesota (US) woman has been charged over the fatal shooting of her boyfriend, in what authorities say was a social media stunt gone wrong.
 
Monalisa Perez, 19, was booked into county jail after shooting at Pedro Ruiz as he held a book to his chest, believing it would stop the bullet.
 
The couple's three-year-old child and nearly 30 onlookers watched as she fired the fatal bullet into his chest.
 
According to a BBC report, Ruiz's aunt said they did it to increase their social media following.
 
Claudia Ruiz told WDAY-TV that her nephew had told her he wanted to do the stunt "because we want more viewers, we want to get famous".
 
"He had told me about that idea and I said, 'Don't do it. Don't do it. Why are you going to use a gun? Why?'" Claudia Ruiz told the news channel.
---------------
Ruiz's aunt said they did it to increase their social media following.
---------------
"They were in love, they loved each other," she said. "It was just a prank gone wrong."
 
Ms Perez, who is pregnant, is facing charges of second degree manslaughter. She faces her first court appearance on Wednesday.
 
County Attorney James Brue described the book as a hardcover encyclopaedia, and said the weapon used was a .50-calibre Desert Eagle handgun.
 
Police have seized two cameras, which are said to have recorded Monday's incident.
 
The single gunshot was fired from about one foot (30cm) away as neighbours gathered to watch outside their Minnesota home.
 
She told deputies that the stunt had been Ruiz's idea, and that he had to convince her to do it.
 
Earlier that day she tweeted about her reservations.
 
"Everyone was crying. I was standing behind that tree over there. And that was it. I just couldn't take it anymore so I had to go back home," neighbour Wayne Cameron told WDAY-TV.
 
The couple had started a YouTube channel in March, aiming to show the "the real life of a young couple who happen to be teen parents".
 
Their most recently uploaded video, on the day that Ruiz died, was titled: "Doing scary stunts at the fair".
 
Last week Ms Perez told her viewers that it was a "blessing" to have her husband home for the forthcoming birth of their son, who is due in September. (Courtesy: bbc.com)




[home] 1-2 of 2


Comment

your name*

email address*

comments*
You may use these HTML tags:<p> <u> <i> <b> <strong> <del> <code> <hr> <em> <ul> <li> <ol> <span> <div>

verification code*
 







MOST VISITED
YOU MAY LIKE

TOPIC CLOUD

TAGS CLOUD

ARCHIVE




Copyright © 2016-2017







NEWS LETTER