I regret to say this, but I must speak the truth: bad days are coming for the 200 million Indian Muslims (see my article ‘Wake up India, Dark Days Ahead!
Consider the facts:
1. About 80% of the Indian population is Hindu, and most Indian Hindus have become highly communal and polarized (i.e. anti Muslim), particularly after the BJP came to power in 2014. In their eyes, most Muslims are fanatics, anti national and terrorists. So when a Muslim is lynched by so called Gau-rakshaks (cow vigilantes) most Hindus are indifferent, and some even happy. One terrorist less.
Muslims are painted as seducers of Hindu girls (called love jihad).
In many schools, Hindu children tell their Muslim classmates that Muslims are terrorists and should go to Pakistan. They ask them whether their fathers manufacture bombs.
From my personal experience I can say that when I am with my Hindu relatives and friends, and they are sure no Muslim is present, they often spout venom on Muslims.
States like West Bengal, which were bastions of secularism, have become highly polarized. In part this was due to Mamata Banerji’s Muslim appeasement policy (e.g. announcing Rs 25,000 p.m. salary to the imams of each of the 30,000 mosques in the state, and Rs 15,000 to each of the muezzins, which was struck down by the Calcutta HC).
Mamata thought that this way she could keep the 28% Muslims in her pocket, but she drove most of the 70% Hindus towards the BJP. The same may happen in Tamilnadu, Andhra Pradesh, Odisha, etc.
Even in the Bay Area of California, where I am staying presently, the NRI community has become highly polarized.
2. It is not that there was no communalism prior to 2014 when the BJP came to power. Secularism is a feature of industrial society, not of feudal or semi feudal society. In India the feudal economy was largely destroyed after Independence by the zamindari abolition laws and the growth of a limited degree of industrialization. But the feudal mindset and practices have continued even after Independence, as is evident from the rampant casteism and communalism prevalent in India even today. So India can be called a semi-feudal country.
What has happened after the BJP came to power in 2014 is this: Whereas earlier communalism was largely latent and erupted only occasionally, now it has become open, virulent, and continuous.
This is because the BJP thrives on communalism. It knows that the 15% Muslims of India will always vote against it, so it seeks to unite the 80% Hindus and bring them under its fold.
Hindus are normally divided on caste lines, but they can be united by fanning hatred against Muslims, and this is what the BJP does, e.g, by hate speeches against them, demonising them as fanatics, terrorists, anti nationals and cow killers, and by instigating communal riots.
When recent agitations started against CAB, Modi said in a speech in Jharkhand that the agitators all wore a certain dress, insinuating the Muslims (though in fact in Assam all Assamese were demonstrating against CAB, not just Muslims).
A former BJP Union Minister garlanded alleged lynchers, and a present Union Minister called Muslims ‘haraamzadas’ (bastards).
3. The Indian institutions have been ‘saffronised’, including the Supreme Court, as is evident from its disgraceful Ayodhya verdict, its treatment of Justice Kureshi, etc, and the ‘Hinduisation’ of history and science. All this bodes ill for Indian Muslims.
4. The Indian economy is tanking, with GDP dipping, manufacturing in steep decline (e.g. sales in auto sector declining by 30-40%), real estate sector in dumps, as is IT sector etc and record unemployment. 12 million youth are entering the Indian job market every year, but the number of jobs has declined.
At the same time prices of vegetables and fuel have skyrocketed, farmers distress escalated, and child malnourishment increased (about 50% Indian children are malnourished as per reports of Global Hunger Index and UNICEF, and 50% Indian women are anaemic). Proper healthcare and good education are almost non existent for the Indian masses.
This was precisely the situation in Italy in 1922 and in Germany in 1933 when fascist governments took over.
5. The BJP government has no inkling how to resolve the terrible economic crisis which has gripped India, so it has taken recourse to the time tested method of finding a scapegoat, and it has found it in the Indian Muslims. Just as Jews were blamed for all the evils in Germany by the Nazis, Muslims will be blamed (and are being blamed) for all the evils in India.
6. I do not believe that there will be a Holocaust of Indian Muslims as happened in Europe, as they are too many to send to gas chambers, and India lacks the technology of the Germans, but short of that many terrible atrocities will be committed on them, like their massacre in Gujarat in 2002.
Bad days are ahead for Indian Muslims