At least 200 girls were rushed to a hospital from their school on Saturday morning after a gas leak from a nearby container depot left some of them unconscious and others with nausea and irritation in eyes.
Around 100 students were admitted to the Majeedia Hospital and 62 at Batra Hospital, in addition to smaller groups that were sent to other medical facilities, Harshvardhan, the additional DCP of Southeast district said.
The students were in their classrooms at the Rani Jhansi school, close to the Tughalakabad container depot from where the chemical leak is suspected to have been originated, when they started showing symptoms.
Local police, PCR vans and National Disaster Response Force (NDRF) have been deployed on the spot. A Centralised Accident and Trauma Service team was also sent to the location. The Delhi fire service also sent two fire tenders, one Hazmat van, one breathing set van and rescue tender to the spot.
Romil Baniya, the DCP, South-East said legal action would be taken against the incident as it was a case of negligence.
"Legal action will be taken. It is a case of negligence, hazardous substance was not handled properly,” he said.
Baniya told reporters that the students felt ill because of the fumes generated by chemicals kept in drums at the depot. The substance was imported from China and was meant for industrial use, the senior officer added.
Officials from Delhi Police and the National Disaster Response Force were attempting to identify the chemical and how it leaked.
Deputy chief minister Manish Sisodia tweeted hours later, saying that he has asked for a magisterial inquiry into the incident. "I spoke to the girls and the doctors, the condition of the students is normal,” he said, after visiting the hospitals the schoolkids were taken to.