Hon'ble Prime Minister Modi Ji,
I write this in great dismay and deep anguish at the sleight of hand of your finance minister. What is being played out is a joke on Indian Economy and its people. Here are five pointers that reflect badly on you:
1. How is repaying 'our' tax refunds 'your' stimulus? In fact, the FM needs to answer why they were not refunded earlier and had to wait for an year. And what happens to those refunds above 5 lacs? Imagine if every debtor considers it a favour to even pay off outstanding bills!
2. How is a loan a stimulus package? By a similar measure, can we treat it as income in our books instead of showing it as a liability so that we never have to repay it? Btw, the banks dont have a choice but to grant an additional loan to ensure that the MSMEs survive and don't turn sick! It is a normal banking practise! As of 2019, the total loans disbursed by all banks increased from 87.46 lac crores to 97.10 lac crores. That would be an 9.64 lac crore 'Economic Stimulus' in 2019, going by your accounting!
3. If reclassifying SSIs, Micro Enterprises and MSMEs is such a 'krantikari' move, then why did it need a pandemic to decide on it? A reform doesn't need a pandemic to push you?
4. What is the 25% TDS reduction about? The tax liability doesn't come down? The tax rates haven't come down? In fact, with profitability being severely impacted, the TDS itself will have to be refunded very soon.
5. How is it that we saving less is an economic stimulus? It is our income, our savings and our spending. In such case, even withdrawals of about 60,000 crores from EPF accounts because we have been driven to eat out our savings is a stimulus.
Sir, enough of the humiliation. Enough of the accounting jugglery and voodoo economics. There is zero outlay from the government in reviving the economy. You are slowly strangulating the golden goose. Your definition of 'Atma Nirbharta' is to leave us in the sea to swim on our own, while you are in a chopper up above. What you want us to do is to survive by taking loans, increasing liabilities, saving less and eating out of our safety net so that you claim it as your support! All this, while you haven't spoken a word on the migrant labour, walking silenty for thousands of kilometres, without a whimper or protest, as they try to run away from your rule!
Feel our pain. Have a heart. Be true to yourself. Wipe our tears, if you can. And if you can't, at least don't treat us like an object to be used, abused and thrown. And if you, beyond using religion for the political theatrics, believe in God, remember that you will be answerable to him, one day!
A frustrated Indian Entrepreneur
Disclaimer : PunjabToday.in and other platforms of the Punjab Today group strive to include views and opinions from across the entire spectrum, but by no means do we agree with everything we publish. Our efforts and editorial choices consistently underscore our authors' right to the freedom of speech. However, it should be clear to all readers that individual authors are responsible for the information, ideas or opinions in their articles, and very often, these do not reflect the views of PunjabToday.in or other platforms of the group. Punjab Today does not assume any responsibility or liability for the views of authors whose work appears here.
Most shared Punjab Today articles:
From govt to media – More afraid of naming Punjab Kesri than of Coronavirus!
Amarinder govt’s nefarious plan to steal Shamlat Lands will spell death knell of Punjab
KYUN KE HUM HAIN HINDUSTANI
Three Women of 1984
FROM 1984 TO BARGARI - Hurt & angry, we’ve tried rage, anger. Did we miss karuna?
REVISITING 1984 – RIOT AROUND A POLE
KARTARPUR SAHIB: A CLARION CALL FOR PEACE IN AN AGE OF CYNICISM
If it could happen to Arun Shourie, imagine what could they do to you?
Healers & Predators – The Doctor is In, & is very corrupt
Amarinder, Badals, AAP — Every party in Punjab is now an Akali Dal
Welcome to 1947. Happy Independence Day. Would you like to step out?
In Pakistan, a donkey pays for democracy – bleeding, its nostrils ripped apart
WOOING THE PANTH: Amarinder a little less Congressy, Akali Dal a little more saffron
"Captain Amarinder Singh ji” and "Rahul”: Reading Sign Language In A Relationship
The Comrade In Punjab - Lost, Irrelevant, Asleep, Even Bored!
WATERS ROYALTY - The Loot that Rajasthan Committed
AMARINDER GOVT's LOVE FOR FARMERS, AND MY DAD's FOR HIS SCOOTER
OF SUNNY KID & HORSE SENSE: The Punjab-Punjab Ties
TRUDEAU VISIT AND RIGHT-WING MEDIA MACHINE
OF NIRMAL SINGH'S EYES
Mr. CHIEF MINISTER, PLEASE CALL OFF JANUARY 7 FUNCTION
MR PRESIDENT, PLEASE TAKE BACK HIS GALLANTRY MEDAL
A SAFFRON JOURNEY VIA CANADA
BAD, BAD WOMAN!
Punjab Today believes in serious, engaging, narrative journalism at a time when mainstream media houses seem to have given up on long-form writing and news television has blurred or altogether erased the lines between news and slapstick entertainment. We at Punjab Today believe that readers such as yourself appreciate cerebral journalism, and would like you to hold us against the best international industry standards. Brickbats are welcome even more than bouquets, though an occasional pat on the back is always encouraging. Good journalism can be a lifeline in these uncertain times worldwide. You can support us in myriad ways. To begin with, by spreading word about us and forwarding this reportage. Stay engaged.
— Team PT